Why are my other computers not visible in "My Network Places"?
I am trying to connect to several devices from my Desktop PC (Win7-x64 SP1). I've following devices connected to my router: 1.via LAN cable: PC1 -> W7 x64 SP1 dutch version, fixed IP address 192.168.2.100, workgroup set to WORKGROUP 2.via LAN cable: PC2 -> XP x32 SP3 dutch version, fixed IP address 192.168.2.101 3.via WiFi: TV -> fixed IP address 192.168.2.102 4.via WiFi: MEDE8ER -> Home media system with internal HDD, running NAS server and put in WORKGROUP workgroup Now I'm trying to connect to MEDE8ER from PC1 by mounting to its internal HDD, However when I look at the network on PC1 I can't see any of the other devices. Even a PING to the IP-addresses of the other devices results in a timeout. I've disabled the firewall functionality of my router (Hercules NR300i) and also disabled Windows firewall on PC1 to rule firewall issues out. In short all devices have internet access but I can't figure out how to connect them to each other. As I am rather new to this stuff I've got no idea where to search for the problem.
June 8th, 2012 12:48pm

I am trying to connect to several devices from my Desktop PC (Win7-x64 SP1). I've following devices connected to my router: 1.via LAN cable: PC1 -> W7 x64 SP1 dutch version, fixed IP address 192.168.2.100, workgroup set to WORKGROUP 2.via LAN cable: PC2 -> XP x32 SP3 dutch version, fixed IP address 192.168.2.101 3.via WiFi: TV -> fixed IP address 192.168.2.102 4.via WiFi: MEDE8ER -> Home media system with internal HDD, running NAS server and put in WORKGROUP workgroup Now I'm trying to connect to MEDE8ER from PC1 by mounting to its internal HDD, However when I look at the network on PC1 I can't see any of the other devices. Even a PING to the IP-addresses of the other devices results in a timeout. I've disabled the firewall functionality of my router (Hercules NR300i) and also disabled Windows firewall on PC1 to rule firewall issues out. In short all devices have internet access but I can't figure out how to connect them to each other. As I am rather new to this stuff I've got no idea where to search for the problem.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 8th, 2012 12:58pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Is this a SOHO router device we are using now ? what model is it ? Have we checked the settings to ensure all ports are in same logic subnet or VLAN? What is the subnet mask on each hosts ?could you show us the ipconfig /all form PC1 and PC2 ? And can they verify the ARP address of the destination host they want to reach ? How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067/ Thanks. Tiger LiTiger Li TechNet Community Support
June 12th, 2012 3:41am

Hi, Thanks for posting here. Is this a SOHO router device we are using now ? what model is it ? Have we checked the settings to ensure all ports are in same logic subnet or VLAN? What is the subnet mask on each hosts ?could you show us the ipconfig /all form PC1 and PC2 ? And can they verify the ARP address of the destination host they want to reach ? How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314067/ Thanks. Tiger LiTiger Li TechNet Community Support
June 12th, 2012 3:51am

I guess it is a SOHO router, as far as I understand the term, to establish a small home network. The router is a Hercules NRi300 VLAN/WLAN router which has IP-address:192.168.2.1, all devices (PC's,TV, HomeMedia,mobiles,...) have IP-addresses 192.168.2.10x. The subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 for all devices. My main issue is to get PC1 (OS-system W7x64 SP1 IP:192.168.2.100 via VLAN) connected to my HomeMedia system (MEDE8ER device, IP:192.168.2.104 via WLAN).
June 12th, 2012 12:59pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. OK, so could we try to test by replacing a new SOHO device with plugging these devices into it and see if they can communicate with each other ? Another test we may try is directly connecting both PC1 and PC2 with cable without router or any other network device and see if they can ping with each other . If they can then I think there must some misconfigurations in this router device caused this issue. PC1------PC2 Thanks. Tiger LiTiger Li TechNet Community Support
June 13th, 2012 2:02am

I guess it is a SOHO router, as far as I understand the term, to establish a small home network. The router is a Hercules NRi300 VLAN/WLAN router which has IP-address:192.168.2.1, all devices (PC's,TV, HomeMedia,mobiles,...) have IP-addresses 192.168.2.10x. The subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0 for all devices. My main issue is to get PC1 (OS-system W7x64 SP1 IP:192.168.2.100 via VLAN) connected to my HomeMedia system (MEDE8ER device, IP:192.168.2.104 via WLAN).
June 13th, 2012 1:11pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. OK, so could we try to test by replacing a new SOHO device with plugging these devices into it and see if they can communicate with each other ? Another test we may try is directly connecting both PC1 and PC2 with cable without router or any other network device and see if they can ping with each other . If they can then I think there must some misconfigurations in this router device caused this issue. PC1------PC2 Thanks. Tiger LiTiger Li TechNet Community Support
June 14th, 2012 2:14am

The first thing that you may check is the firewall, but since the firewalls had already been disabled you should go to the next test which is the network discovery options. The computers network discovery might be "Off", to change this, open Network and sharing Center. The window will show you the network to which the PC is connected. On the left menu, there more options/menus available, click on "Change Advance Shraing Settings" and find the option where you can change the "Network Discovery" from 'Off" to "On". If this would not work, check on the devices you are trying to connect, since these are different kinds, you might to set-up the device in the PC by running the installation disc accompanied with the device. Check also http://www.techyv.com/questions/i-can-t-see-other-pcs-network for additional solutions.
June 16th, 2012 1:15am

The first thing that you may check is the firewall, but since the firewalls had already been disabled you should go to the next test which is the network discovery options. The computers network discovery might be "Off", to change this, open Network and sharing Center. The window will show you the network to which the PC is connected. On the left menu, there more options/menus available, click on "Change Advance Shraing Settings" and find the option where you can change the "Network Discovery" from 'Off" to "On". If this would not work, check on the devices you are trying to connect, since these are different kinds, you might to set-up the device in the PC by running the installation disc accompanied with the device. Check also http://www.techyv.com/questions/i-can-t-see-other-pcs-network for additional solutions.
June 16th, 2012 1:27am

Thanks for all replies sofar. I did make sure that network discovery is ON on my W7 PC, still my MEDE8ER isn't visible on the network. I got another router from a colleague but I still haven't tried it, is on my TODO list. J.P.
June 16th, 2012 4:52am

Thanks for all replies sofar. I did make sure that network discovery is ON on my W7 PC, still my MEDE8ER isn't visible on the network. I got another router from a colleague but I still haven't tried it, is on my TODO list. J.P.
June 16th, 2012 5:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics